Monday 15 September 2014

Looking at Trailers

Trailers 

I watch many trailers in my own time and keep up with films from around the 70's up to modern day, as I have a deep interest and love for films. 
Although I often watch trailers on television, computer or phone, I do not know a lot about the background of trailers, how they are affective, or what makes a successful one. 

When looking through modern trailers on YouTube I came across 2008's The Dark Knight. This is a film I know and love, I was very impressed by the trailer as it gave an eye catching, thrilling overview of the movie. 






Certain features of the trailer stood out to me as affective ideas attempting to captivate the audience, interest and impress them. The creators did this well by making sure eyes were always on the screen, they did so by using constant action pact clips in rapid jump cuts, using loud thrilling diegetic and non diegetic sounds. 
They also focused on building lots of tension via the use of blackouts, stopping all movement on screen and all sound for one or two seconds before cutting to another scene of action, where music and action would start up again, they did this several times. 
Many establishing shots were used which covered a long wide shot over Batman and a large part of Gotham city, these shots allowed viewers to know of the importance and significance of the setting and of this character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment