Monday 3 November 2014

Questionnaire and Audience Profiling


Audience profiling is essential when creating a new media product, from magazines and newspapers to websites and films. The most important factors to look for in this process are, age, gender, culture, race, and sexuality. To complete this I will need to ask the public, this can be done in various ways, questionnaire, interview, survey, video interview, gender ratios and many more.



How old are you?

15-30   31-50    50+


Around how many films do you watch a month?

1         2         3        4          5         more





What genre most interests you? 

Romance     Science Fiction         Action         Thriller       Other



Do you ever watch short films?


Yes                                 No


 If yes, where do you find them and how do you view them?



This is one of the example questionnaires I will be giving out, in order to gain an understanding of my audience profile. It will not only give me an idea of how popular my genre is, but who watches them. And also in terms of age, gender, personality types, is there a stereotypy or do a wide range of people tend to watch films in general especially short films?                                                                 By building a complete audience profile I have a better understanding of how to attract them and give the film true thriller features, and what my audience expect to see.










Results from first Questionnaire 

These first results collected were interesting and helped me begin to understand age difference and preference. 
From this I can gather that younger generations tend to watch the most films as both the 15-30 years old participants said they watch more than 5 films a month, this may be down to deeper interest or simply because they have more time to enjoy them, even so it is something to keep in mind for the audience I approach to. It also interested me that the two younger participants said action and thriller genre appealed to them the most, this is positive for me and relates to my thriller theme.

When directing a question to short films I was very unsure and eager to find the results, and was pleasantly surprised that 2 out of the 3 do watch short films, this as from the 15-30 range as well as the 50+ creating a much wider audience. I am most familiar with short films on via YouTube and have looked through short of the week during my research and planning which was very useful.       




No comments:

Post a Comment