Thursday 5 March 2015

My Poster

Photography 


Throughout my research into film posters I found that I was already building an idea in my head as to what the expectations were for my final product when targeting my chosen target audience of young adult thriller lovers. 

Checklist
  • Some shadowing and darkness 
  • Close up of main character 
  • Relations to storyline (taken at one of the settings) 
  • Captivating and intriguing
  • Well used photography with a relevant effective shot and angle
  • Edited where and how is needed to enhance colour, lighting
  • Give a professional finish  



My initial idea for the main image of the poster was a front on take of the characters full face in the same place and position, I would have then edited so that the poster was split dead in the middle of her face, one side black and white and the other normal colouring. At the time I felt this split image would represent normality or a false front put on to the world compared with someone's real emotion and depression in the case of this character. However, after over thinking into the effectiveness of the shot I felt a front on shot using direct address was too cliché, as the majority of posters will do this as I have already found in my earlier research. I felt it also gave off the impression this character was open and confident when she is in fact quite and recluse.     


Chosen shot analysis


This medium shot is my chosen photo for my poster production to promote my short film. I am very satisfied by the outcome of the photo, the positioning of the camera was steady and straight as I leaned my arms on the side of the bath for stability and a clean level shot. I aided Lucy with her positioning and explained how I wanted the shot to look, this included a level head so the positioning of her head and jaw was straight and aligned rather than stooped and lazy looking. I also wanted her face to be relaxed and emotionless so there was no strain or creases on her face. I worked with Lucy's hair so that it was out of her face and up in a bun.   I was also pleased with the spacing of Lucy's head and the rest of the bath because the black space of bath at the bottom is perfect for placing the title of the short film and other essential print within the strapline, such as quotes from magazines or release dates.           
My wide research and planning into 'What lies beneath' was a clear inspiration for the shot. I found the use of the characters hand loosely hung over the bath, hid identity and also cast a tense and thrilling theme from the off set. Here I am similarly giving a sense of intrigue and slight frustration as to feeling the need to know who the person is as I have cropped just where the facial features begin.     
Also in comparison with 'What lies beneath' is the small yet powerful uses of symbolism with colouring. The black nail varnish on the hand within the poster has a similar effect as the black earing worn at the top of Lucy's ear   





Beginning to edit


In order for me to achieve the professional finish I aspire to achieve for my poster I began editing using  http://www.fotor.com/
This was very useful in helping me create the professional clean cut finish picture I aspire to create. When using the 'Smoothing' option I could freely brush over any imperfections on Lucy's skin or even in the back drop of the photo to tidy it. The example photo shown to the right is evidence of my first attempt in smoothing the picture. I was happy with the effect itself as it dramatically improved the look from standard to professional finish. However when comparing the photo to the original product I found that my editing allowed for the picture to look false and too flawless. There was also mistakes made as the brush went over the line of where her skin ends and the blur is seen to overlap, making it look untidy and lazily edited.




































When attempting to edit the second time it was far more successful and looked like a natural coverage over the skin, rather than an animated and false look. Now that this was complete I could progress onto editing colouring and lighting for the photo.

Other departments of the website enabled me to easily enhance the definition of the photo by experimenting with the brightness, contrast and temperature settings.
I edited in a way that would keep the original brightness and definition of the photo. Giving a clear open eye catching view of the full poster. The overall brightness of the photo can also represent the innocence and purity of her character.
The cream/tanned tint on the bath, background and skin of the character, helps to lesson the dull lifeless pale colouring and it is far more appealing and eye catching than the original photo.

My research into film posters helped me to plan and picture out the overall image I wanted for my final product as noted in my checklist. I realised the importance for certain conventions of the film poster, including

  • Clear large title, 
  • Eye catching image and 
  • Vital information about the film including the main actors name, production company and producer/directors name usually in small writing spaced around the page
  • Rating of film

I made sure these were included on the poster but made sure they were unique to my creative ability and the specific codes and conventions my short thriller should offer.

I thought up the name of a production company and introduced a simple yet effective brand image using 'Fonspace' for the professional bold print and used Google images for the animated clock relating to the 'Timelapse' theme. This institution name will also be used at the beginning of my film.

I felt by creating and using a quote given by the Telegraph can allow for the audience to have confidence and trust in an intelligent, knowledgeable perception of the film. This would be a largely helpful selling point by having faith in a comment made by an institution obviously well educated in the film industry and what it should offer audiences. Under this I have included the Telegraphs 4 star rating in bold black to stand out from the lightly lit backdrop.  
I feel happy with where I placed the quote, Telegraph logo and star ratings as it seems to fit well in filling an empty space contained in the mise en scene of the photo. The size and positioning of this is also well structured and I am confident that this looks professional and fits well for my poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment